Friday, August 13, 2010
Intermediate Course being Planned
Subject to sufficient take up, there are plans to run a 10 week Intermediate Course commencing Thursday September 30th, 19.00 to 21.00 each week. The contact address to register for the course is training@carc.org.uk.
Foundation Course 25th and 26th September
Malcolm, G3NZP has now confirmed that CARC have sufficient interest to run a Foundation Course on 25th/26th September and there will probably be room for a couple more candidates. The closing date is Friday September 10th, so if you, or anyone that you know are interested in taking the foundation course/exam, please contact CARC using the club training email address (training@carc.org.uk).
Friday, July 30, 2010
What is it?
This was bought at boot fair the seller knew nothing about it so nothing known about it's origin. It seems to have 2 electrical connectors at the top with wires hanging down to make contact with a sample or something and in the centre there is a probe which can be screwed in and out.


Richard G4ANN


Richard G4ANN
Sunday, June 6, 2010
Bletchley Park WWII archive to go online
Millions of documents stored at the World War II code-breaking centre, Bletchley Park, are set to be digitised and made available online.
Electronics company Hewlett-Packard has donated a number of scanners to the centre in Milton Keynes so volunteers can begin the ground-breaking task.
Saturday, May 15, 2010
10 Metres Opens Up For Early Sporadic-E Openings
It would be worth keeping an eye open on the 28MHz band over the next few days. The band was open for some very strong sporadic-E contacts across Eastern Europe as far as OK & SP and down into southern Italy as well as DL and OZ plus south westwards to EA yesterday (13 May) and also today (Friday 14th) from noon until late afternoon.
One notable SSB QSO was with Raphael IM/P- IK0FMB (what a callsign!!) on the little island of Antioco, 20K West of Sardia with an S9+ signal with 400W to a 2-ele home made beam who gave me a 5&7 report with 400W from my windoim antenna.
There were quite a few low power beacons to be heard including IZ8DXB/B in JN70L as far south as Naples and EA4Q in Spain. Stations on 28 MHz were reporting that 6M was also open although when I listened a bit later I heard nothing on my windom.
Lets hope that this early opening is a foretaste of good DX conditions this summer on the HF Bands as the sunspot cycle progresses.
73, de Derek G3GRO
Wednesday, May 12, 2010
Dayton 2010 day 1
This is the first of a series of mini posts describing the trip to the 2010 Dayton Hamvention. G3VLH, G4ANN, G3LHZ, M0ZAF and myself (G3YSX) traveled out to DAY via Charlotte yesterday. Looking at the various blogs, we did better than many other European hams who tried to go out yesterday, but none the less it was a long haul. We got here, but it seems that those that tried to travel out via Spain found that flight after flight was canceled.
In our case the flight was delayed from 0940 to 1140 due the late arrival of the inbound aircraft, which was in turn caused by an extended flight to dodge the ash. Our flight time increased from 9 hours to 11 hours due to the need to fly north of the volcano to avoid the ash.

From the aircraft we could see the volcano off the port side of the aircraft.
We finally landed at 16.56, 3 hours 20mins later than planned. We were then moved on to the (late) 19.49 flight to DAY in a process that was very smooth by US Airways. We then arrived at Dayton field just as a thunderstorm settled in. A bit of bumpy air and a short hold gave the pilot an opportunity for a slightly expedited landing just as the storm moved to the south of the field.
Getting the hire car was smooth, but navigating the extensive roadworks put our GPS sat nav into a routing loop. We told it to use minor roads only, which did the trick, and finally got to the hotel at 23.30. For me this was a total journey time of 21.5 hours.
Stewart/G3YSX
In our case the flight was delayed from 0940 to 1140 due the late arrival of the inbound aircraft, which was in turn caused by an extended flight to dodge the ash. Our flight time increased from 9 hours to 11 hours due to the need to fly north of the volcano to avoid the ash.

From the aircraft we could see the volcano off the port side of the aircraft.
We finally landed at 16.56, 3 hours 20mins later than planned. We were then moved on to the (late) 19.49 flight to DAY in a process that was very smooth by US Airways. We then arrived at Dayton field just as a thunderstorm settled in. A bit of bumpy air and a short hold gave the pilot an opportunity for a slightly expedited landing just as the storm moved to the south of the field.
Getting the hire car was smooth, but navigating the extensive roadworks put our GPS sat nav into a routing loop. We told it to use minor roads only, which did the trick, and finally got to the hotel at 23.30. For me this was a total journey time of 21.5 hours.
Stewart/G3YSX
Monday, May 3, 2010
MTI ATU2000 / STR400
Richard, G4ANN, is looking for information on an Automatic ATU that he is hoping to repair and use on HF. The label says that it is made by (or at least Marketed by) Marine Technology International Ltd. It has markings STR400 and ATU2000 on the cover.
Outside and internal pictures are shown below.
If anyone has any information on this ATU, particularly a circuit diagram and/or a manual of some sort, please can you email (stewart at g3ysx.org.uk), or add a comment on the blog.
Thanks in advance for any help
Stewart/G3YSX


Outside and internal pictures are shown below.
If anyone has any information on this ATU, particularly a circuit diagram and/or a manual of some sort, please can you email (stewart at g3ysx.org.uk), or add a comment on the blog.
Thanks in advance for any help
Stewart/G3YSX


Subscribe to:
Posts (Atom)
